Workers' Compensation Insurance FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Workers' Compensation Insurance

  • FAQ 1. How many employees must I have in order to be required to provide workers' compensation insurance?

    If you regularly employ three or more persons in your Georgia business, you are required to provide the benefits.  If your company is incorporated or an LLC, the officers or members are included in the employee count.

  • FAQ 2. Does this include part-time employees?

    Yes, as long as they are regular or how you regularly do business.

  • FAQ 3. What do you mean by "regular" part-time employee?

    A regular part-time employee works regularly on a part-time basis. Such as employees who only work on weekends.  A regular employee can be a seasonal hire as you regularly hire more workers during a certain season.

  • FAQ 4. If my business is incorporated, am I or my fellow officers considered to be employees of the business?

    Yes. The corporation is considered to be the employer and all officers are considered to be employees of the business.

  • FAQ 5. Can officers waive coverage on themselves?

    Yes. As many as five officers or members may waive coverage on themselves. Each such officer or member must complete and sign a form WC-10 and file it with their insurance carrier.

  • FAQ 6. If one or more officers waive coverage, does this exempt them from being counted in the "three or more employees" rule? (See FAQ 1)

    No. Officer exemptions do not reduce the number of employees of the corporation.

  • FAQ 7. What if I am operating my business as a sole proprietorship or partnership?

    The Georgia Law considers sole proprietors and partners to be employers not employees, just the opposite of corporations. However, they can elect to be covered as an employee by advising their insurance carrier in writing.

  • FAQ 8. How can I learn more about the law regarding Workers' Compensation in Georgia?

    Consider purchasing Georgia Workers' Compensation Laws, Rules and Regulations Annotated. This book can be ordered from Lexis-Nexis. For details, you may call them at 1-800-833-9844.

  • FAQ 9. Who can I talk to at the State Board of Workers’ Compensation about insurance?

    Call Tim Milsten at (404) 651-7839.

  • FAQ 10. How can I contact the Georgia Workers' Compensation Assigned Risk Plan?

    The Georgia Workers' Compensation Assigned Risk Plan is administered by the National Council on Compensation Insurance (NCCI). Their toll-free telephone number is 1-800-622-4123. Their web site is

  • FAQ 11. Can I purchase insurance from you?

    No. The Georgia State Board of Workers’ Compensation does not sell workers’ compensation insurance. You can contact an insurance agent/broker, at the Independent Insurance Agents Association at (770) 458-0093 or at

  • FAQ 12. Does Georgia have a State Fund?


  • FAQ 13. How do I become self-insured?

    You need to complete an application, and return it to the Board, along with the required documents and processing fee of $500.00. The application and process can be obtained by calling (404) 651-7839 or on our website. You can access additional information and forms on the website for the Georgia Self-Insurers Guaranty Trust Fund (  This is usually for large employers.

  • FAQ 14. Does being self-insured mean that I don’t have to purchase workers’ compensation insurance, and that I put the money in the bank to pay for my employee’s workers’ compensation injuries?

    No. In order to be self-insured, you must be approved as a member of the Georgia Self-Insurers Guaranty Trust Fund and certified by the State Board of Workers’ Compensation. The application and process are available from the Licensure and Self-Insurance Division of the State Board or from the website for the Georgia Self-Insurers Guaranty Trust Fund (  Self-Insurers, if approved, will be required to post security by an approved bond or letter-of-credit in an amount required by the Board and no less than $250,000.  An excess insurance policy will be required from a highly rated carrier.

  • FAQ 15. Do you license insurance adjusters?

    No. Questions regarding insurance adjuster’s licensing should be directed to the Office of the Insurance Commissioner at (404) 656-5166.

  • FAQ 16. I am concerned about my rating. Who should I contact?

    You should call your insurance agent or broker.  If you still have questions, you can call the Office of the Insurance Commissioner at (404) 656-4449.

  • FAQ 17. How do I get information regarding the Certified Workers’ Compensation Professional (CWCP) or the Medical Provider Workers' Compensation Professional program?

    You can contact Tammy Heinen at (678) 865-7228 or via e-mail at The website is

  • FAQ 18. Am I required to have an adjuster’s license to handle workers’ compensation claims?

    Adjuster Licensing is handled by the Office of the Insurance Commissioner. Please call (404) 656-2101.